Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management
Offered by the Department of Public Administration and Policy, School of Public Affairs, this interdisciplinary certificate program encompasses course offerings from the School of Public Affairs, Kogod School of Business, and School of Communication, with the opportunity for students to select courses from the School of International Service and College of Arts and Sciences as well. It provides those currently working in the nonprofit sector a program combining both academic rigor and skill set training to enhance their performance in this growing work sector, as well as a foundation for master's degree students about to enter the field.
Admission to the Program
Open to students with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, some demonstration of capability either though an interview or application essay, and either three years of work experience or admission to an American University graduate degree program.
- 18 credit hours of approved coursework with at least 9 credit hours at the 600-level or above with grades of C or better. Grades of C- or D in certificate program courses are not accepted toward the fulfillment of certificate requirements, although these grades will be included in the calculation of the GPA. Students must have at least a 3.0 GPA in certificate courses in order to be awarded a certificate. Students in certificate programs must take a minimum of 6 credit hours during each 12-month period and complete the certificate in four years. International students must enroll in 9 credit hours each semester (except for summer). A maximum of 3 credit hours earned at an accredited college or university may be applied toward the certificate as transfer credit.
- ACCT-607 Financial Accounting (3) (3)
- FIN-630 Financial Analysis of the Firm: Concepts and Applications (3) (3)
- COMM-642 Strategic Communication Management (3) (3)
- MGMT-609 Management of Organizations and Human Capital (3) (3)
- MGMT-633 Leading People and Organizations (3) (3)
- PUAD-681 Managing Nonprofit Organizations (3) (3)
- 6 credit hours approved by a program advisor