Find out how you can get involved
Join a Student Organization
There are numerous student organizations dedicated to waste, gardening, beekeeping, energy, and the environment:
- AU Outdoors
- AU Zero Waste Club
- Beekeeping Society
- Community Garden
- Engineers for a Sustainable World
- Kogod Sustainability Club
- Net Impact
- Sustainable Ocean Alliance
- Tree Huggers of AU
- Email email@example.com to have your organization added to this list.
Become a Sustainability Intern
Sustainability Interns serve a critical role in the Office of Sustainability by working with students across campus to expand sustainability awareness and increase engagement. The part-time, paid interns connect students with institutional sustainability initiatives, create connections with the Office of Sustainability, and inspire personal behavior change in the AU community. Students work 8-12 hours per week in the Office of Sustainability, including a mandatory weekly team meeting. Tasks include event planning and outreach, in addition to general office work as needed.
Students receive training in sustainability topics such as green buildings, zero waste, carbon neutrality, and energy efficiency, as well as strategies for developing outreach campaigns and engaging peers effectively.
Sustainability Interns are hired for an entire academic year, and applications for internships are posted each summer. Subscribe to the sustainability newsletter to receive notifications about upcoming internship opportunities.
Become a Green Office
The Green Office Program supports and rewards offices that adopt sustainable practices within their team. Through the completion of three checklists, offices progressively expand their commitment to advancing university sustainability initiatives.
The intent of the program is to:
- Establish a culture of sustainability.
- Build a community across offices.
- Provide tangible guidelines for sustainability focused actions.
- Offer sustainability education for the university community.
- Establish an opportunity for staff and faculty do their part to meet the university's sustainability goals.
- Since 2011, nearly forty campus offices and more than 600 staff and faculty have participated.
Sustainability in the Curriculum
Request a sustainability tour, guest lecture by Office of Sustainability staff, or data on campus sustainability by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
American University's Environmental Collaborative, ECOllaborative.
Green Teaching Program
The Center for Teaching, Research and Learning manages the Green Teaching Certificate. Faculty members at American University can qualify for a Green Teaching Certificate by answering a number of questions about their efforts to make their courses more sustainable.