- MFA, Painting, University of Texas at Austin
BFA, Studio Art, Florida State University, Tallahassee
- Favorite Spot on Campus
I make large scale figure drawings, primarily of women adorned with culturally loaded objects and covered in densely collaged landscapes. I occasionally work in sculpture, animation, and collaborate with other artists to make installations and videos. I grew up in the military, primarily in northern Maine. I negotiate nuanced and layered identities, both prescribed and self-determined as a Black woman, an artist, and an academic.
I received an MFA degree from the University of Texas, Austin (1999) and a BFA degree from Florida State University (1993). In 2001, I attended the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Since 2003, I’ve been teaching full-time at American University (DC) and received tenure in 2009.
I served as Chair of the Department of Art from 2015-2018 and am the first Black American tenured professor in the department. I hold a seat on the Maryland State Arts Council, a board member of the Washington Project for the Art, and I am a co-founder of ‘sindikit, a collaborative art initiative, with my colleague Tim Doud. We created the ‘sindikit project to engage our overlapping creative research in gender, sexuality, race, and the economies of things.
CORE-105 Complex Problems Seminar: Constructions of Self & Other
AFAM-350 Topics African Am/Diaspora St: Feminist Artists of Diaspora
- Barnwell Brownlee, Andrea and Cassel Oliver, Valerie. Cinema Remixed & Reloaded: Black Women Artists and the Moving Image Since 1970, exhibition catalogue, University of Washington Press, Seattle, WA, 2008, pp. 99, 156.
- Valdez, Sarah. “Bling and Beyond” exhibition review. Art in America. New York: April 2006. No. 4, pp. 60-63. 2006
- 2008 - Conner Contemporary, Washington, D.C. “Family” (Nov. 14-Jan. 3)
- 2007 - UNT Art Gallery, Denton, TX. “Saint of the Suburbs” (Oct. 15-Nov. 7)
- 2006 - Wendy Cooper Gallery, Chicago, IL. “…in the beginning” (June 9-July 15)
- Clementine Gallery, Project Room, New York City, NY. “Glory” (May 25-June 26)
Two Person Exhibitions
- 2004 - Creative Alliance, Baltimore, MD “There Goes the Neighborhood” (installation w/ Rick Delaney) (Nov. 11-Dec. 17)
- 2008 - Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Houston, TX (Oct. 18-Jan. 4, 2009) “Cinema Remixed and Reloaded: Black Women Artists and the Moving Image Since 1970” curated by Andrea Barnwell Brownlee and Valerie Cassel Oliver *