Top Ten Things to Know about Health Promotion Management
1. Are you passionate about promoting health?
Health Promotion is an evolving discipline that helps people, organizations, and communities adopt healthy lifestyle behaviors, programs, and policies leading to improved health status. As organizations and policymakers gain awareness of the financial and social consequences of chronic conditions, the need for qualified experts is greater than ever.
2. Our program prepares you for leadership roles in the field.
Our innovative program combines the science of health with the management principles of organizations and people. With this dual focus, you'll graduate with broad-based knowledge of health promotion and hands-on experience you can immediately use in leadership roles.
3. AU’s award-winning program was the very first of its kind.
Established in 1980, AU's Health Promotion MS Program, recipient of the National Wellness Institute's Distinguished Academic Program Award, was the first in the United States to combine concepts of health and wellness with principles of business management. Our faculty are leaders in the field, conducting research, publishing, and bringing their expertise into the classroom. Our 600+ alumni are working across the globe in leadership and management positions to create environments that support health and well-being.
4. DC Location: A hub for learning, research, and service
DC’s location gives our faculty and students unique opportunities to engage in implementing programs that exemplify the concepts being studied in class. This translates to assessing population needs, implementing programs, and evaluating and disseminating results. With our online classes, students are given course assignments that encourage them to become familiar with their own communities and to identify professional networks of individuals implementing health promotion programs.
5. The health field is a top-growth area in the job market.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, the projected growth of our field is 17 percent, much faster than other occupations.
6. Our graduates put their expertise to work promoting and improving health and wellness, locally, nationally, and globally.
Here are just a few companies that employ our graduates:
- American Heart Association
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Mayo Clinic
- National WIC Association
- Pan American Health Organization
- Partnership to Promote Healthy Eating and Active Living
- US Department of Health and Human Services
7. You can apply a degree in Health Promotion Management to many careers:
- Community Health Specialist
- Health Promotions Specialist
- Director of Employee Health
- Behavior Change Specialist
- Program Health Coach
- Manager of Regional Wellness Programs
- Senior Project Manager
- Director of Screening Services
- Client Engagement Manager
- Population Health and Wellness Manager
- Health Communication Specialist
8. Our program offers fulltime, virtual, and flexible options.
AU now offers our program in person and also in a flexible online format that is designed to fit your schedule. Our 30 credit-hour degree program can be completed in less than two years.
9. The program admits students from a wide range of backgrounds, undergraduate degrees, occupations, and nationalities.
We believe that a strong belief in health promotion, desire, and enthusiasm are the best predictors for success in the program and in future careers. All students must meet the American University admissions requirements, submit official transcripts and complete departmental admissions requirements, including two letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose.
10. We can help you with application and financing questions.
If you have additional questions or would like to learn more about the online MS in Health Promotion Management, call 855-725-7614 to speak with an admissions advisor or request more information.
If you have additional questions or would like to learn more about the in-person MS in Health Promotion Management, visit the College of Arts and Sciences Graduate Enrollment website.
The Office of Financial Aid can provide more information.
Please get in touch with us! Email firstname.lastname@example.org