The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) reflect American University’s current policies and resources. This page is designed to provide the AU community with up-to-date answers to help you navigate the university’s response to the evolving COVID-19 situation.
Don’t find your question here? If you have a question which is not answered below, please suggest a new question by emailing email@example.com and we’ll do our best to update this page with the appropriate information.
- What are tuition levels for fall 2021?
- Why is the 10 percent discount no longer being offered?
- Will fees be charged or waived?
- What will meal plan costs be for fall 2021?
- Will the FY 2022 budget continue the hiring freeze, suspension of university retirement contributions, and other cost saving measures?
- How is the University supporting international students?
- What is the status of fall 2021 commencement?
- How will COVID-19 affect implementation, organization, and the filing of Title IX complaints?
- What course modalities are available during the fall (e.g. live/synchronous, asynchronous, etc.)? What classes will have an in-person component?
- Is temporary leave available to students for the fall semester?
- How can I meet with my academic advisor in the fall 2021 semester?
- What if I have a question about my fall course?
- Will there be changes to the Academic Calendar in terms of add/drop or refund deadlines?
- Will support services remain available?
- How is AU building community and where can I find more information about campus activities?
- How can I learn more about my career options, student jobs and internships?
- Where can I find more Athletics and Recreation information?
Campus Facilities, Operations, and Service
- What dining services are available on campus?
- With a variety of schedules for faculty and staff, how will parking be handled?
- What is the status of the U∙PASS Program for the fall 2021 semester?
- How can I find information about graduate financial aid?
- Will financial aid be affected?
- Will my financial aid be impacted if I do not return this fall for family or personal reasons but plan to return in spring 2022?
- What is the best way to find out about the status of my financial aid?
Health & Safety
- Where can I get more information on COVID-19?
- Will everyone be required to wear a face covering while on campus?
- Will AU provide me with face coverings and other specialized PPE?
- What is the policy on physical distancing while on campus?
- Are there self-screening and self-reporting requirements?
- Will students be required to quarantine in D.C.?
- Are there any travel advisories or quarantine requirements in D.C.? What is the policy on notifying the university of personal travel?
- Can off-campus students quarantine on campus?
- Will hand sanitizing stations be placed throughout campus?
- Will there be specialized or enhanced cleaning of offices and campus buildings?
- What precautions will be taken in classrooms?
- What health and safety precautions will be taken in offices spaces?
- Do campus facilities have updated air quality systems?
- In the event of the spread of a vaccine-resistant variant, what procedures will be put in place to support the health and safety of the AU community?
- Will visitors to campus be required to provide documentation of a COVID-19 vaccination?
- Are the fitness centers open for use?
- My professor is teaching unmasked; what should I do if I am uncomfortable with that?
- My roommate was exposed, do I have to have class on zoom now?
- I was at a party where people didn’t wear masks. Should I come to class?
COVID-19 Testing and Contact Tracing
- Will AU require that students be vaccinated this fall?
- Will AU require that faculty and staff be vaccinated this fall?
- How will American University manage vaccine booster shots?
- If I have additional questions, who can I talk to?
Travel and Study Abroad
- What is AU’s current policy on student/faculty/staff travel?
- What factors are considered in the decision to approve travel?
- I am an individual faculty member or graduate student who needs to travel to conduct research, what should I do?
- I am an individual faculty member, staff member in an academic unit (including WCL), or individual graduate student seeking approval to engage in an academic-related or business-related travel. What is required?
- I am a faculty member desiring to lead a group of students (including undergraduate students) on travel as part of an academic experience, what should I do?
- I am a staff member working for an administrative unit who needs to travel for essential university business, what should I do?
- What happens after a student, faculty, or staff traveler completes the application process?
- What is the current travel guidance recommended by the D.C. Department of Health?
- Are there COVID-19 related reentry restrictions to the US?
- What is the university doing about study abroad programs?
- What is the AU Abroad Spring study abroad timeline?
- What are American University’s study abroad refund policies?
- If I plan to study abroad in Spring 2022, should I arrange flights now or wait?
- Should I have a Spring backup plan?
- As a Spring study abroad student, is there anything else I should be doing right now?
- What criteria does AU use to determine when it is safe to resume international travel associated with its programming?
- Can I take a leave of absence to participate in a program independently from AU?
Faculty and Staff
- What should faculty members do to support students who need to miss class due to illness or quarantine requirements?
- Do faculty need to record where students are sitting in the classroom during each meeting to ensure that contact tracing can be done effectively?
- Do professors need to wear masks while teaching? If not, why do faculty receive an exemption from the mask mandate in this case?
- Are faculty members able to obtain clear masks and/or microphones to use while teaching?
- Are faculty members able to use discussion groups in the classroom, or are students expected to stay as far apart from one another as the room allows?
- Are academic departments and programs allowed to host events on campus?
- Will guest speakers be allowed in classes? If so, do they need to be vaccinated?
- Can/should faculty and staff open windows in classrooms and offices to increase air flow? How should concerns about temperature be addressed?
- Will faculty be required to come to campus during the 2021-2022 academic year?
- Will staff be required to come to campus during the 2021-2022 academic year?
- What support is available for conducting classes online?
- Can faculty hold in-person office hours in the fall? Are they required to do so?
- Can a faculty member move an in-person class online due to a conference, sick family member, childcare issue?
- Can staff and faculty take their AU-owned IT equipment home to aid productivity during the COVID-19 pandemic and the fall semester?
- Can hybrid work schedules be adapted for seasonality or during particular times in the year where classes are/are not in session?
- How will the university support the technology needs of faculty and staff members in the new hybrid work environment?
- How will the university support employees' childcare needs?
- Will accommodations be made for people with compromised immune systems, disabilities, or chronic illnesses?
- What is the remote work policy for employees who have high-risk family members in the household?
- How will the university manage situations where employees cannot be vaccinated?
- Are the fall hybrid work modalities intended to be permanent?
- What is the role of HR vs. individual units in managing a hybrid schedule?
- How do flex/compressed schedules factor into hybrid modalities?
- Will parking be prorated depending on how many days faculty and staff come to campus?
- What is AU’s dress code for faculty and staff in the Fall 2021?