Commencement ceremonies occur at the end of the fall and spring semesters:
- Fall Commencement – for August, Term 3, Term 4, and December graduates
- Spring Commencement – for Term 1, May, and Term 2 graduates
Graduating students are invited to participate in the school ceremony in which their degree program falls. Please visit the Schedule of Events site for a listing of the commencement dates and times for this academic year. All ceremonies take place in Bender Arena and run approximately two hours.
Review the Health and Safety Requirements for Spring Commencement. The university will continue to monitor conditions related to COVID-19 and follow guidelines set by local and federal government authorities. We will notify graduating students as soon as possible if commencement plans need to be altered or if additional mitigation efforts must be implemented.
Countdown to Commencement
- Apply to graduate on Eagle Service and go to Graduation Overview. Students who anticipate the completion of their degree requirements must submit an application to graduate by Monday, March 21, 2022. After March 21, updates to diploma name or mailing address should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students who fail to complete their application by this deadline would need to apply to graduate in the Summer or Fall.
- Check your AU email account for monthly updates from email@example.com. From the end of February, updates will only be sent to students who have been made eligible by their advisors. Advisors should approve all eligible applications by Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Chosen Name Students can now use a chosen first, middle, and last name(s) on their diplomas. Chosen names may include nicknames, anglicized names, initials, mononyms, names that reflect gender identity, or family name(s). They will appear in the commencement program and be recorded for the commencement ceremony if submitted by Monday, April 4, 2022. Learn more on the chosen name website.
- Diploma Name Verification Even if your chosen name has not changed since you first applied to AU, please take a moment to check your Application to Graduate on Eagle Service to verify the spelling, punctuation, spacing, and capitalization of your diploma name. Complete this by Monday, April 4, 2022, for changes to be reflected in the commencement program.
- Register to participate in commencement by ordering your cap and gown and abide by the Health and Safety Requirements for Spring Commencement. The regalia ordering site is open for students who are eligible to participate in Spring Commencement. The on-time regalia deadline is Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Register with NameCoach for Individual Graduate Recognition. In early March, eligible graduates will receive a unique link to their AU email account. The deadline to submit the name recording is Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Reserve guest tickets. An allotment of six (6) electronic guest tickets will be distributed to students who register to participate in commencement. Eligible graduates will receive a unique link to their AU email account in mid-April. Check tickets page for more information.
- View your transcript on myAU.american.edu. Undergraduates with Latin Honors (3.67 cumulative GPA and 60 of 120 credits at AU) will receive a gold cord; see Undergraduate Academic Regulations, section 5.5. Eligible graduates can collect their gold cords during the Graduation Fair on March 23, First Floor, Mary Graydon, or from May 4 to May 8 in the AU Campus Store. Eligible graduates will receive updates via email this spring.
- Check this website for more updates on plans to celebrate our spring graduates.