To protect the health and safety of the entire American University community, we require all commencement participants to agree to and abide by American University Health and Safety Directives and the District of Columbia public health and safety requirements. Following updated COVID-19 protocols, all commencement participants, including children 3 and older, are required to wear masks. KN95, N95 or KF94 are strongly encouraged. Graduates or guests exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 should not attend commencement.
Please carefully read the additional requirements for graduates and guests attending the Spring Commencement ceremonies in-person on Saturday, May 7, or Sunday, May 8.
- Graduating students must be registered to participate in commencement. A student's regalia order serves as their registration to participate.
- All eligible graduates, including online program students, must have proof of vaccination including booster on file through the Student Health Portal if they plan to attend in-person graduation.
- Graduates with approved vaccination exemptions must be tested at the campus testing facility and show proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours of ceremony on Wednesday, May 4 (If ceremony is on Saturday), or Thursday, May 5 (If ceremony is on Sunday).
- We ask that graduates practice good hygiene and infection control precautions such as frequent and thorough hand washing and hand sanitization and stay home if not feeling well.
Graduates will not be able to access their six electronic guest tickets until all the above requirements are fulfilled.
Requirements for Guests Attending Commencement:
For the health and safety of the campus community, we discourage unvaccinated guests with medical conditions from attending commencement and encourage them to view the ceremony online on the commencement website.
- Guests must have their tickets and proof of vaccination or negative PCR test results ready to show during check-in outside Bender Arena.
- Tickets will be required for admittance to the Spring Commencement ceremonies. Children three and older will require a ticket. An adult must accompany children at all times. See below for additional information.
- All guests, including children three and older, must wear masks while on campus. KN95, N95 or KF94 are strongly encouraged.
- All guests, age five and older, must be fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC prior to attending the ceremonies. Those guests unvaccinated because of medical or religious reasons will have proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of the ceremony (Wednesday, May 4 or later if attending Saturday, May 7 ceremony; Thursday, May 5 or later if attending Sunday, May 8 ceremony. All guests should plan to have digital copy of the vaccincation record or vaccine card or negative PCR Test results with them when attending.
- Graduates will be required to complete a vaccination attestation form when they access their electronic guest tickets.
- Graduates will be required to provide contact information (name, cell number, and email) for their guests and are responsible for distributing tickets to their guests.
- We ask that all guests practice good hygiene and infection control precautions such as frequent and thorough hand washing and hand sanitization and stay home if not feeling well.
AU is constantly working on improving your experience on campus and at events. We will provide updates to the above requirements as soon as we are able.