You are here: American University Finance Facilities Management 2Fix Frequently Asked Questions

2Fix Information & Frequently Asked Questions


Standard Response Times

Customer requests are prioritized based on our standard response time policy as follows:

Table showing 2Fix response times based on urgency
Type of Repair Definition Examples Response Time
Emergency High priority issues due to the potential for injury or damage to university property Leaks/floods, hazardous materials, elevator problems, power outages, broken water or gas lines, critical equipment failures Within 2 hours
Sensitive Items that require a response as soon as possible to retore systems to normal operations, protect property, or to prevent disruption of educational activities Exterior lights out, HVAC temperature adjustments, clogged toilets/urinals/drains, low or no water pressure, ADA compliance issues Within 24 hours
Routine Repair issues that can be handled on a routine planned and scheduled basis for efficient accomplishment and to reduce disruption of campus activities Hanging signs, painting, general carpentry (hanging decorations/whiteboards), furniture/office/surplus property moves Generally within 5 days (depending on workflow)

Services Offered By 2Fix

  • Lighting issues
  • Plumbing issues
  • Heating and air conditioning
  • Carpentry items
  • Door repairs
  • Ceiling repairs
  • Floor repairs
  • Recycling and disposal issues
  • Grounds maintenance
  • Life safety issues
  • Elevator problems
  • Fire alarms/Smoke detectors
  • Fire extinguishers

Because the unexpected is bound to happen, Facilities Management service providers are ready to respond to any emergency problems 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

For after hours, weekend, and emergency requests, Facilities Management personnel are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day by calling 2-FIX (ext. 2349).

All non-emergency calls are processed by the Customer Response Center on the next business day.

A service request may be submitted to us in one of the following ways:

  1. Phone (202 885-2FIX [2349])
  2. Online Portal ( portal)
  3. Email ( )
  4. Fax (ext. 1045)
  5. Walk Up (Customer Service Center, lower level, Asbury building)

Request general maintenance or repair to building equipment or systems including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, and plumbing. You also may use this form to request maintenance and repair of basic classroom furniture and furnishings. This form cannot be used to request keys/locks (please contact for key/lock issues).

Who Should I call if I Need my Bed Lofted/Delofted?

Please contact Housing & Dining at 202-885-3370 for all in-room furniture requests.  

Who Should I Call if My Appliances Do Not Work? 

Please contact Housing & Dining for all in-room appliance requests (i.e., washer, dryer, refrigerator, microwave) at 202-885-3370. 

Who Should I Call if I lose my Key or Lock Myself Out of my Room? 

Talk to your Resident Assistant (RA) or Resident Director (RD) for all key and lock requests. 

What Should I do if I have Insects/Rodents in my Room? 

 All pest control issues should be routed to 2-Fix (x2349). We have a pest control technician who is on campus Mondays,Wednesdays and Fridays each week to address these issues.

We are available 24 hours a day. After normal hours of operations calls are answered by the Central Plant Engineering Staff.

For non-emergency services, please use our Facilities self-service repair forms accessible through the myAU portal which is monitored daily during normal business hours, M-F, 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Additional questions and information also may be directed to 2-Fix Customer Response Center (ext. 2349) during these hours.

A customer service representative will ask you a series of questions required to process your requests (i.e. contact information, location, problem, account #, etc.).

This form is used to request renovations, alterations, improvements, or any type of change not related to general maintenance. These services are funded by the requesting department. A Budget Account Number must be included with these types of requests. Please see your department's facilities/budget coordinator for specific departmental procedures relating to chargeable services. This form cannot be used to request keys/locks (please contact for locks/keys).

For your convenience on non-emergency matters, we recommend that you fill out the appropriate online facilities service request form. See below for form descriptions. By doing this, your request goes straight to the Customer Response Center for processing. You will receive an email confirmation number to reference. The Maintenance Service Coordinators will prioritize and distribute your work request directly to the appropriate service technician. If for any reason more information is required to process your request, you will be contacted by a 2-Fix representative by phone or email.

Note: If you try to place a online work request after hours, you will receive a pop-up message with the following statement: "You are creating a Facility Service Request after regular business hours (6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., M-F), for immediate response for items such as: no electricity/no water, leaks/floods, broken windows or unsafe conditions, please call 2-Fix (ext. 2349)."

You can find out the status of your request at anytime by using the view "request status." Additionally, this view gives you a list of all your submitted service requests for tracking and records purposes.