9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Executive Assistant to the CFO, Vice President and Treasurer
3201 New Mexico, Room 280 on a mapOffice of Finance / Treasurer 4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW Washington, DC 20016-8033 United States
Memorandum December 12, 2022
- American University Community
- Bronté Burleigh-Jones, Ph.D., CFO, Vice President, and Treasurer
- Winter Break Closure – Saturday, Dec. 24, 2022 – Monday, Jan. 2, 2023
Dear AU Community,
As the winter holidays approach, I would like to provide details about the university’s upcoming closings December 24 through January 2, 2023.
Throughout the winter break, faculty, and staff will have access to their offices using their AU swipe cards, but reduced heating and lighting will be in effect. Please remember that the buildings will be chilly, and offices may not be conducive for work. For safety reasons, space heaters are not allowed to be used to warm facilities. Access problems may be reported to Public Safety at extension 2527. Since few people are expected to be on campus during the break, please be mindful of your safety and be sure to secure your possessions.
Responsibilities and Staffing During Winter Break Closing
Staff should check with their supervisors regarding details about their unit’s staffing during the break. Unit heads of offices and departments who are assigned essential responsibilities during the break should submit the names of essential employees to Human Resources (HR). HR will send guidance to managers in the coming days.
Payroll Deadlines and Holiday Pay
Full-time employees will receive holiday pay for their regularly scheduled workdays that fall on and between December 26 and January 2, 2023. The last paycheck in 2022 will be dated December 23 for biweekly employees and December 29 for monthly employees.
- Timesheets for hours worked between November 25 and December 9 should have been signed and approved by 5 p.m., Friday, December 9 (sign and approve immediately if you have not already done so).
- As timesheets for pay period December 17 – 23 are due December 16, hours reported should be projected.
- Leave reports for leave taken in November were due December 1 (sign and approve immediately if you have not already done so).
- Leave reports for leave taken in December are due January 3, 2023.
Residents approved for fall 2022 winter housing in Nebraska Hall and the university-leased units at the Frequency Apartments are permitted to remain on campus during winter break. The residence halls close officially at noon on December 18 and will remain closed during the break. Students who need and have applied for winter housing will be placed at McDowell Hall.
Move-in for the spring semester 2023 will begin on January 12, 2023. Residents have already received communication regarding their move-in day/time.
AU Kitchen (Dining)
All Dining locations will be closed during winter break. Select locations will open between January 3 – 14, 2023. All dining locations will re-open on January 17, 2023.
Please visit the following websites for additional information regarding holiday hours of operations, closures, and resumption of service:
- Dining – https://www.american.edu/ocl/onecarddining/
- Housing – http://www.american.edu/ocl/housing/dates-faq.cfm
- Bender Library – http://www.american.edu/library/about/hours.cfm
- Jacobs Fitness Center – https://www.american.edu/recfit/calendar/
- Mail Services – https://www.american.edu/finance/mailservices/
- Shuttle – https://www.american.edu/finance/transportation/shuttle.cfm
I wish you and your family a happy and joyous holiday season.