You are here: American University Finance Payroll FAQs

FAQ for Timesheets and Leave Reports

In order to view a timesheet, an employee must be authorized by their department for work, and today's date must be on or after the start date on the authorization. Once you are active in the system, you can access timesheets through the portal

You will need to print a paper timesheet from the portal. In the portal, go to Work@AU and then Payroll. Under the Forms section, select the appropriate timesheet for you. Complete all sections, sign and have your supervisor approve your timesheet. Finally, send it to for processing.

The Payroll Office generates a payroll schedule for employees each semester. Typically, Biweekly timesheets are due on the Monday after the reporting period ends. Due dates may be changed if holidays compress the payroll processing schedule. Please review the schedule for details. Contact if you have other questions.

You are only required to report your leave hours used. You will need to sign your online leave report each month on the first working day of the following month, and have your supervisor approve it.

FAQ for Paychecks and Direct Deposit

Complete the Stop Payment Request Form with the specific details on the missing check and provide it to the Payroll Office.

Note: Stop payments usually take three to five days to be processed. Then Payroll will issue a replacement check.

Yes, however the Payroll Office requires a written request (preferably by email) with the name of the person picking up the check.

Note: the person picking up the check will be asked to provide proof of identity and sign a form indicating they are picking up the check.

If you have submitted a "Stop Direct Deposit" request on time, your check will be sent to your primary department. If you have multiple jobs on campus, please contact the Payroll Office for verification. If you did not contact the Payroll office in time to stop the direct deposit of your pay, you will need to notify Payroll and submit a new Online Direct Deposit Application, closing the account. When we receive the funds from your bank, we will issue a replacement check. It may take up to a week to receive the funds back from the bank.

Pay station changes can be made at any time by HR/Payroll Office staff, but we will need you to make a written request (preferably by email). Paychecks are usually designated to be sent to the primary position held on campus. To avoid delays on payment, we suggest that you sign up for direct deposit.

If you have completed your final Time Sheet/Leave Report and your supervisor has approved it, the Payroll Office will prepare and mail your check to your home address within five working days.

You will receive your check within 24 hours upon separation from the university.

Did you and your supervisor complete a Time Sheet? If yes, did you sign up for Direct Deposit for that pay period? If you did, your money has most likely been sent to your bank. To verify, check Eagle Service - Banking Information in the AU portal. You can edit an existing direct deposit bank here, or add one if you do not already have one. 

If we issued a paper check, did you work previously in another department? Often, pay stations are not updated to reflect your current position. Contact for more information.

Please contact the Payroll Office for further investigation. Explain why you think amount on the check/pay advice is incorrect.

Payroll Specialists may be able to manually place a check on "Hold" for pick up or mail it to a different address depending on when the request is placed. Submit a request in writing (preferably by email) to the HR/Payroll Office for a temporary address change.

FAQ for Tax Information

No, unless there is a lengthy break in service, you originally filed a form claiming more than 10 exemptions, or if you are claiming "Exempt." Employees who have claimed "Exempt" must complete a new request each year no later than February 15th of the following year. You can verify your current tax information by viewing your most recent earnings statement in the portal. Contact for further assistance.

If someone works in D.C., but will not be residing in D.C. for 183 days or more in the tax year (i.e. commute to work from a state other than MD or VA), then he/she may complete a certificate of nonresidency in the District of Columbia. Student employees are not eligible to file a D.C. nonresident form. Employees living in Maryland or Virginia should complete the appropriate state tax forms for withholding.

We are not allowed to provide tax advice, however we can help you decipher what the categories mean. The worksheet at the top of the form is designed as a guideline to help you determine the number of withholdings that are most appropriate. It is not an exact formula however. Please provide your local address and be sure to claim either exempt OR a number of withholdings. Please do not fill both. Additionally, the university provides general tax information on our tax webpages.

An employee with a permanent residence other then D.C., who resides on campus 183 days or more in the tax year, is still obligated to pay local taxes and needs to complete D.C. tax form (include your local address). If you have filled out local tax forms, and paid taxes to the local government, then you (or your parents) would have to file local tax returns by the deadline in the state of temporary residence.

Are you a part-time or full-time employee? You should fill out Federal and State tax forms, I-9 form, Direct Deposit (available also online), etc. If you are full-time you should be given an offer letter that lists your HR orientation date. If not, please contact HR.

Yes. If the change of address is within the tri-state area of the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Virginia, you will need to fill out new tax forms for the particular state.

If you completed an incorrect state form, you will need to complete the correct state form. The Payroll Office will not be able to refund the money but can transfer the tax withheld to the correct state. If the incorrect tax information is not discovered before a W-2 form is issued then you will need to file for a refund with the state the taxes were withheld in.

There is no automatic Exempt status because you are a dependent or a student. If your parents claim you as a dependent, you may want to check with them or their accountant to determine the most appropriate way to complete the tax forms.

Please refer to the payroll schedule timeline; however, the Payroll Office makes every effort to process as many requests as possible.

You can click on the desired form in the "Withholding Forms" section on the right side of this screen. Contact for further assistance.

FAQ for Tax Filing Forms

Please call the W-2 information line on extension 3520 or e-mail to We will verify mailing address and send you a copy. Please have your full name, AU ID number (Colleague ID number) or Social Security Number ready.

A copy is available under W-2 Information on the Eagle Service portal under Tax Information. Contact for further assistance.

The last page of your W-2 has definitions for each box. Contact for further assistance.

There are two possible answers.

  1. If you are a full-time student and worked part-time, you do not pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.
  2. If you are a full-time faculty or staff and chose a pre-tax retirement plan, the pre-tax retirement is deducted from your taxable income, but is not deductible from your Social Security and Medicare wages.

Please contact the Payroll Office at 202-885-3520 or email us at We will complete an inquiry form and do necessary research for you. A payroll specialist will get back to you with answers.

The Social Security wage limit changes on an annual basis. The limit for 2022 was $147,000 and the limit for 2023 is $160,200.

If you received a graduate financial aid award that has a learning/work requirement, the learning/work component is taxable income and reported on your W-2.

If your graduate tuition remission award did not have a learning/work component as a service requirement, although taxable, the University was not required to withhold taxes. Therefore, no W-2 form was issued.

  • Box 10 is your dependent care flexible spending account.
  • Box 12, Code C is the taxable cost of group-term life insurance over $50,000.
  • Code E is your pretax retirement plan amount.
  • Code G is 457 Deferred Compensation Plan.
  • Code BB is designated Roth contributions under a section 403(b) plan.
  • Code DD is the cost of employer-sponsored health coverage.

An explanation for all codes is listed on the last page of your Form W-2.

Based on IRS guidelines, tuition remission amount is not reported separately on your W-2. The taxable amount is included in your FICA, federal and state taxable income.

The taxable portion of your work/learning component and tax amount withheld is reported on your W-2. You are referring to the remaining scholarship fund amount that has no work/learning component. It will be reported on a Form 1042-S along with the 14% tax that was withheld. According to IRS rules, we are required to send Form 1042-S to the individuals by March 15th although we make every effort to provide this form to you earlier. Please make sure that you use both Form W-2 and Form 1042-S for your U.S. tax return.

Yes. Each individual may have a different situation. Please call the Foreign National Specialist in the Payroll Office if you have further questions.

Withholding Forms