Emergency Back-up Care
Bright Horizons® provides you with emergency back-up dependent care when you experience a break down in your regular care. The Care Advantage program consists of a nationwide network of child care centers and in-home care agencies that are available to you at a moment's notice.
AU full-time faculty and staff are eligible for:
- 15 days for subsidized, emergency back-up care;
- Copayment of $15/child/day or $25/family/day;
- Copayment of $8/hour for in-home care.
Dependent care includes children, adults, and elderly loved ones. For example, emergency back-up care can be used when:
- Your child's school closes due to inclement weather, but you are schedule to work;
- Your child is mildly ill and needs to stay home from school or day care;
- You are transitioning care arrangements for your elderly parents or in-laws.
Additional family support
Bright Horizons provides referral services and discounts for non-emergency child care, elder care, pet sitting, tutoring, and housekeeping services.
Nanny placement services Local agency support recruiting, vetting, and hiring a nanny – with discounts
Child care priority and discounts Waitlist preference at Bright Horizons centers. Tuition discounts at participating centers nationwide.
- Tutoring and test prep Exclusive discounts and quick connections to leading tutors
- Sitter & nanny search tools Access to 6M+ live and virtual caregivers, with free basic background checks
- Elder care planning resources Objective guidance for caregiving, legal, and financial concerns
- Pet sitters & housekeepers Convenient online search with unlimited free use
Enrollment in a Bright Horizon Center
Skip the line over the general community on waitlists at hundreds of Bright Horizons locations
Registration fee credit of up to $250 after a month of attending the center
- Save up to 10%, and get registration fees waived, with exclusive discounts at over 1,000 participating partner centers
Deals and discounts at child care centers
Tuition discounts nationwide at participating child care centers.
Full-time nanny placement
High-Touch Support Nanny search begins with a consultation call with local agency, focused on family needs.
Cost Saving Discounts: Discounted placement fees ($300 value) and a 10% total discount on hourly nanny rates.
- Managed Process The local nanny agency recruits and vets potential nannies on the family’s behalf.
Senior care planning resources
The Bright Horizons web-based research platform assesses your senior care needs. Or you can use their personal assessment partners at a discounted rate.
Test prep and tutoring services
Referral services for private and small group tutoring for SATs/ACTs, standardized tests, common core subjects, and general help for students.
Full-time faculty and staff.
Register for free to make a reservation for emergency back-up care or to access any of the dependent care/family services and resources. Advanced registration is highly recommended for the back-up care service.
- Register online or by phone, 877-BH-CARES (877-242-2737)
- Reservations are required
- Reservations can be made up to one month in advance to the date(s) care is needed
- Care can be scheduled for up to five consecutive days
- Reserve care online or by phone
By registering for this benefit through Bright Horizons, you acknowledge that:
- American University does not endorse or recommend any particular care giver or child care center and makes no warranties or representations as to the quality, safety or other features of such services.
- The University expressly disclaims any and all responsibility for any issues that may arise with regard to such services.
The University encourages all participants to carefully evaluate any provider they are considering for back up care services.
Cancellations made after 5:00 p.m. the business day prior to care will count as a use and all applicable co-payments will apply.