All new term faculty at AU are hired into the professorial lecturer promotion sequence, including term faculty with “in-residence” titles. (Note: one’s title and rank may be different, as defined in the Faculty Manual’sglossary.) The vast majority of term faculty who build their careers at AU seek promotions along the professorial lecturer sequence. A term faculty member with an exceptional portfolio of research/scholarship—equivalent to a newly tenured colleague—may seek promotion to term associate professor, which entails a move to the term professor sequence.
All term promotions within or across the two sequences follow the procedures and criteria established in the Faculty Manual, Sections 12-15, and your academic unit’s guidelines below.
Note: although the title of assistant professor is no longer used when hiring new term faculty, it is grandfathered in for term faculty hired before the change. Applications for promotion to term associate professor follow the exact same procedures and guidelines whether they are submitted by a term assistant professor or a professorial lecturer, and both are held to the same standards as tenure-line applications to associate professor.
The information on this page is a good place to start thinking about your application for reappointment with or without promotion. In addition, please be sure to contact your department chair, associate dean, or faculty coordinator, as appropriate, for more information specific to your academic unit.
- College Term Faculty Guidelines (all units not listed use the College Guidelines)
- Anthropology Term Faculty Guidelines
- Biology Term Faculty Guidelines
- Chemistry Term Faculty Guidelines
- Environmental Science Term Faculty Guidelines
- History Department Term Guidelines
- Literature Term Faculty Promotion Guidelines
- Mathematics & Statistics Term Faculty Promotion Guidelines
- Physics Term Faculty Guidelines
- Psychology Term Faculty Guidelines
- World Languages and Cultures Term Guidelines
Kogod School of Business
School of Communication
School of Education
School of International Service
School of Public Affairs
- Justice, Law & Criminology Term Faculty Guidelines
- Public Administration & Policy Term Faculty Guidelines
- Government Term Faculty Guidelines
Term Faculty Appointments and Reappointments
Checklist New Term Faculty
Checklist Term Reappointment with Promotion in Professorial Lecturer Sequence
Checklist Term Reappointment with Promotion to Associate Professor
Checklist Term Reappointment with Promotion to Full Professor
Checklist Term Reappointment without Promotion (all ranks)