We are pleased to welcome you to American University and the Gap Program. You will soon be immersed in the nation's capital-the informational capital of the world and one of the most culturally diverse cities in the United States. This web page will guide you through your next steps as you prepare to join your Gap program cohort soon.
To enroll in the AU Gap program, please submit your enrollment deposit of $400 online:
- Create your myau.american.edu account using your AU ID, which can be found in your acceptance email.
- Login to your myAU portal account and go directly to Eagle Finance. Pay your deposit by e-check or credit card.
Final Deadline for Fall: June 15
Final Deadline for Spring: December 1
Please note that this deposit is nonrefundable and will be held in your student account to be credited toward your tuition.
Your academic advisor will provide you with instructions for registration. Once you have received the registration checklist from your advisor, complete the AU Gap Consent & Pre-Registration Form. After you have successfully submitted this form, our staff will register you for classes according to your responses.
Rules and Regulations
The District of Columbia Immunization Law requires that all students under the age of 26 provide proof of the immunizations listed on the AU Mandatory Immunization Form.
You may submit your records via one of the following:
- Upload the immunization record from your physician's office on the AU student health portal.
- The completed/signed/stamped AU Mandatory Immunization Form can be submitted via an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The completed/signed/stamped AU Mandatory Immunization Form can be faxed to (202) 885-1222.
Deadline for Fall: July 15
Deadline for Spring: December 15
Questions? Student Health Center
AU Gap students must be enrolled in a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Your healthcare coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Provides the Essential Minimum Benefits required by the PPACA with no annual limits. A list of the Essential Minimum Benefits can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/essential-health-benefits/.
- Contains no exclusions for pre-existing conditions
- Covers 100% of Preventative Care as defined by the PPACA. A list of these preventive services can be found here: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/preventive-care-benefits/.
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, a rider must be providing coversage at equal limits to the SHIP.
If you do not have an insurance plan that meets these requirements, then you need to enroll in the AU health insurance plan.
Questions? Gap Team · email@example.com · (202) 895-4900
Deadline for Fall: August 1
Deadline for Spring: December 15
American University requires proof of COVID-19 vaccinations for all students who reside on campus or come to campus for any reason. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons are considered following existing protocols.
Gap students are required to submit their COVID-19 vaccine information through their student health portal. See here for further instructions on this process.
American University offers Allianz Tuition Insurance provided by GradGuard™, a service of Next Generation Group. Please read the terms of the policy thoroughly before purchasing. Key details include:
- Flexible coverage up to $50,000
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions
- Cost of insurance depends on amount of coverage purchased
- Price is based on cost of non-refundable tuition, fees, room and board
- Insurance is paid directly to GradGuard and cannot be added to AU student account.
- Insurance must be purchased BEFORE the first day of classes.
For complete information and quote – visit the GradGuard website.
Life at AU
- AU Academic Calendar
- AU Recreational Sports & Fitness
- AU Shuttle Information
- Center for Community Engagement & Service
- Club Sports
- ID Card Photo Submission
- Katzen Arts Center
- Religious Services Schedule
- Student Activities and Clubs
- Technology Information for Students
- What to Bring Checklist