Official Transcripts

An official transcript is printed on security paper with the AU seal and the Registrar's signature, and should be used for official transactions including applications to graduate school, some employment opportunities, or security clearances. Official transcripts also carry the date of issue, and when issued to students carry the notation, "Issued Directly to Student."

The transcript key is on the back of the official transcript. Information about reading AU transcripts prior to 1978 may be found on this transcript key.

Request an Official Transcript

Currently enrolled students may request an official transcript through a direct link on their portal. Current and former students may also bring a completed transcript request form to AU Central in Asbury 201 or they may fax the form to (202) 885-1016. The form may also be mailed to:

Office of the University Registrar
Attn: Student Services
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8064

Pick-up requests for official transcripts should be indicated on the portal request or on the form. Pick-up requests submitted by 10 AM on weekdays will be ready after 3 PM on the same day. Requests submitted after 10 AM will be available for pick-up the next business day after 3 PM at AU Central.

Transcripts are normally processed within 24 hours. For requests that transcripts be mailed, please allow an additional three to five business days for the US mail (USPS) delivery for domestic addresses or five to ten business days for international addresses.

Status inquiries can be made to Student Services, (202) 885-2022 or

Law Students may order transcripts on the WCL web site:

Grading System

Click here to view the current and past Grading Systems.

Internal Academic Record

An internal academic record is an uncertified copy of a student's academic record. It is an internal AU record with more information recorded than the official transcript, but may be printed by the student. It does not carry the Registrar's official seal or signature.

The internal academic record provides students with a place to view current GPAs, completed courses, and courses in which they are currently enrolled. These records are helpful for internal purposes, such as applying for an internship, showing courses a student has taken, applying for a research grant, or as proof of meeting a minimum GPA requirement.

Current students may obtain internal academic records at any time through this direct link on the portal,